Us Canada Social Security Totalization Agreement

Thank you for all your wisdom on this very important subject. I wonder about the Agreement between Canada and the United Kingdom on Social Security. I am 41 years old and for most of my professional life (since 2001) I live and work in Canada. Other issues I have, Canada had a social security agreement with Hong Kong after British rule (before 1997), it would be applicable, and help it fulfill the 10 years of legal residency required in Canada to collect the OAS? Hello, Doug, thank you for this information. In my situation, I am a nurse and have worked in total about 7 years in the United States on the TN visa. So far, I have worked for about 25 years (Post College) in Canada. So when the time comes to retire, do I have to apply for both Social Security, KKP and OAP and receive these benefits individually? It`s true? The Canada-U.S. Social Security Agreement came into force on August 1, 1984. A complementary agreement came into force on 1 August 1984. A second complementary agreement came into force on 1 October 1997. In addition, your employer must indicate whether you remain an employee of the U.S. company while you operate in Canada or whether you will become employees of the U.S.

company`s subsidiary in Canada. If you become a related company, your employer must indicate whether the U.S. company has entered into an agreement with the IRS, pursuant to Section 3121 (l) of the Internal Income Code, to pay U.S. Social Security taxes for U.S. citizens and residents employed by the subsidiary and, if so, the agreement comes into effect. Brent – Yes, I am almost certain that, under the Canada-U.S. agreement, you will be entitled to U.S. Social Security. Hello Veronica – Your husband is definitely entitled to a CPP pension, and he can also claim the OAS under the Canada-U.S. agreement. In any event, they are eligible for both the CPCs and the OAS.

I think you need 10 years (40 quarters) to qualify for the U.S. Social Security type, but then again, you might be eligible under the Canada-U.S. agreement if you have less than 10 full years. I was born in 1965 and grew up in Canada. I have my diplomas (undergrad und Recht) in Canada. I moved to the United States in 2000 (I was 35 years old).